What began as a weekend trip to one of the Cape Flats’ most popular family beaches has now become an agonising wait for answers. Along the shoreline at Monwabisi Beach, rescue crews, police divers, and volunteers continue scanning rough surf and tidal zones after a group of teenage friends were caught in powerful rip currents, leaving one seventeen-year-old boy still missing and his family facing every parent’s worst fear.
Emergency services were called to Monwabisi Beach shortly after eleven on Saturday morning, after reports reached control centres that several swimmers were in distress in rough surf.
By the time rescue crews reached the scene, the first acts of heroism had already unfolded.
Members of the public, including surfers and an unidentified man believed to be a lifeguard, had already entered the water in dangerous conditions and managed to pull four teenage boys back to shore.
But for one member of the group, a seventeen-year-old local boy, time had already begun running out.
According to the National Sea Rescue Institute, the five teenagers, believed to be between thirteen and seventeen years old, had entered the water together before being caught in strong rip currents, one of the most dangerous and unpredictable hazards along parts of Cape Town’s coastline.
By the time emergency crews arrived, four boys were on the beach showing symptoms of non-fatal drowning.
National Sea Rescue Institute Strandfontein Station Sixteen commander Nicolette Whitehead described the moment rescuers reached the scene.
She said:
“On arrival on the scene we found four local male teenagers, ages believed to be between thirteen and seventeen, on the beach injured, suffering symptoms of non-fatal drowning. They indicated that a seventeen-year-old local male from their group of five was still unaccounted for and missing in the surf zone.”
Medical teams treated all four teenagers at the scene before ambulances transported them to hospital.
Authorities say two were listed in stable condition, while two others were described as serious but stable. All four are expected to recover.
What has stood out most during the rescue operation has been the actions of ordinary beachgoers who responded before official rescue units could arrive.
One man reportedly used one of the pink National Sea Rescue Institute emergency rescue buoys stationed at the beach to reach one of the boys, while surfers used their boards to bring others back through heavy surf.
Whitehead praised those early responders.
She said:
“The Good Samaritans, surfers, and the lifeguard, unidentified, are commended for their efforts.”
As the operation unfolded, rescue teams launched a JetRIB rescue craft from the nearby satellite base, while police divers from the Western Cape Water Policing and Diving Services joined shoreline and sea searches.
Search efforts continued throughout Saturday and into Sunday, but no trace of the missing teenager had yet been found.
The incident has once again highlighted the hidden danger of rip currents along Cape Town’s coastline, particularly during changing tides, winter swells, and unstable weather conditions.
For one Cape Town family, however, the warnings now mean something far more personal, as rescue crews continue searching the surf, hoping to bring answers home.
Source: Cape {town} Etc – Aiden Daries.



